Seyedeh Parinaz Akhlaghi
I am a PhD candidate of Nanotechnology Engineering at University of Waterloo.
My supervisor is Prof. Michael K.C. Tam. I am a member of Laboratory for Functional Colloids and Nanomaterials and Waterloo Institute for Nanotechnology.
Parinaz was born in Tehran, Iran and graduated with a Pharm.D from the Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Iran in 2009. She turned to nanotechnology engineering based on her interests in using engineering principles and methods to design novel pharmaceutical delivery systems. Her current study involves modification of nanocrystalline cellulose for drug delivery applications.
• Nanotechnology Based Drug Delivery Systems
• Natural Carbohydrates for Biomedical Applications
• Enhanced Drug Delivery Systems
• Localized Drug Delivery Systems
• Drug Polymers
• Polymeric Delivery Systems
• 2010-Now, PhD Nanotechnology Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Canada. (GPA: 94.17/100)
• 2003-2009, Doctorate in Pharmacy, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran. (GPA: 90.80/100)
• 2002-2003, College Diploma in Natural Sciences, Mahdavi College, Tehran, Iran.
• 1999-2002, High School Diploma in Natural Sciences, Nedaie-Zeinab High School, Tehran, Iran.
• 2006 : Ranked 6th in "National Basic Science Exam in Pharmacy", among more than 500 Pharm.D students, Tehran, Iran.
• 2003 : Ranked top 0.07% among 600,000 participants in the "National Entrance Exam for Entering Universities", Tehran, Iran.
Awards and Scholarships
• 2010-Now : Graduate Research Studentship in University of Waterloo.
• 2010-Now : International Doctoral Student Award in University of Waterloo.
• 2011 : University of Waterloo Graduate Scholarship for A+ GPA.
• 2010 : Provost Doctoral Entrance Award for Women in University of Waterloo.
• 2009 : National Nanotechnology Scholarship for Graduate Students, Iranian Nanotechnology Initiative Council.
Publications and Citations
• N. Dhar, S. P. Akhlaghi and K. C. Tam, "Biodegradable and biocompatible polyampholyte microgels derived from chitosan, carboxymethyl cellulose and modified methyl cellulose", Carbohydrate Polymers, 81:101-109, 2012, IF: 3.463.
• S. Saremi, F. Atyabi, S. P. Akhlaghi, S. N. Ostad and R. Dinarvand, "Thiolated chitosan nanoparticles for enhancing oral absorption of docetaxel: preparation, in vitro and ex vivo evaluation", Int J Nanomedicine, 6:119-128, 2011, IF: 4.976.
• S. P. Akhlaghi, S. Saremi, S. N. Ostad, R. Dinarvand and F. Atyabi, "Discriminated effects of thiolated chitosan-coated pMMA paclitaxel-loaded nanoparticles on different normal and cancer cell lines", Nanomedicine: Nanotechnology, Biology and Medicine, 6(5):689-697, 2010, IF: 4.882.
• S. P. Akhlaghi, M. Jenabi, Z. Heydari and Z. Kazemi, "Selected Materials for National Basic Science Exam in Pharmacy" in Persian, Teimourzadeh Pub., 2006.
• H-Index (largest number H of publications with at least H citations) of 2 (according to Google Scholar, Jan 2012)
• Macromolecular Science 2 (NE 335), University of Waterloo, (Fall 2011)
• Introduction to Nanosystems Design (NE 307), University of Waterloo, (Fall 2010)
• Laboratory Skills
o Working with HPLC, GPC, UV Spectrophotometer, DSC, ITC, FT-IR, TEM, DSE, Viscometer, DLS and ...
• Languages Spoken
o Persian (Native)
o English (Fluent)
o French (Intermediate)
o German (Beginner)
• Softwares Familiar with