Before you request your refund, please ask yourself:
What has WEEF done for me? Why should I consider not getting my refund?
1) The allocation of WEEF money is 100% decided by students.
The Funding Council that decides what organizations/teams/departments is composed of one member of every undergrad engineering class that is on-campus for that term. There is no faculty or UW Admin on this council, so the money goes where the students say it goes.
2) WEEF has indirectly funded $4,000,000 dollars of the currently under construction engineering building E5.
WEEF provided $1 000 000, which was matched by the Faculty. The University then matched both WEEF's and the Faculty's contributions. This is an unbelievable accomplishment for a 100% student run endowment fund that is only 20 years old.
3) WEEF offers funding and expects nothing back in return.
When it comes to sponsors for student teams, this is rare. WEEF enables positive student learning experiences both inside and perhaps more importantly, outside the classroom.
4) Quick Stats:
- WEEF currently allocates ~$60 000 per term in funding (for student teams, department requests, lab upgrades, machine shop etc.)
- WEEF's principal amount is over $12,088,334
- MIT's principal amount is now $11,000,000,000
5) WEEF is for students by students.
By donating to WEEF, you are contributing to UW Engineering's reputation (our student teams really help make us recognized internationally as one of the top engineering schools in North America). But WEEF's money isn't only for student teams. 60-80% of funding each term goes to projects proposed by departments to improve student learning.
6) Your WEEF Refund is TAX DEDUCTIBLE.
Your donation receipt is available on Quest. You end up paying less tax and in the process you help yourself, UW and all the engineers around you - seems like a sweet deal to me. Refund cheques are sent out over a 2 week period in the 10th or 11th week of the term to the address listed on your Quest account. Finance will credit your account if you owe money, or will combine your refund with other money owed to you into one cheque. If you have not received your cheque by the 13th week, please contact us.
To Request your refund, click here.
Please be aware that this "opt-out policy" that requires you to apply for a refund is instituted by UW Finance and is used by organizations across campus and at other schools. We appreciate your feedback, but we are not able to change this procedure.